Thursday, May 7, 2009

What do Finance Professors think the equity premium is?

A recent survey shows that in the US, Finance professors think that the equity premium is on average about 6.3%.

I actually participated in the survey and I think I said 6%. Of course more recently, the premium has certainly been higher, although before the credit market problems, I think it was headed lower than 6%.

If it is 6%, then what does this mean? Well, if the long term bond rate is about 3%, then the expected return on large cap stocks should be about 9%.

I have no idea whether or not 6% is the right number, but I am pretty sure about is that at current bond rates, a long term expected return on stocks of 12% (the historic nominal mean) is delusional.

The difference between 12% and 9% is massive.

$1000 per month for 30 years at 9% will grow to $1,830,743. While the same investment at 12% will grow to $3,494,964. Of course this assumes that the investment doesn't grow. The point is that if your financial plans are based on 12%, then you better hope that your kids are smart, because you're going to have to rely on them to pay for your retirement!

2 comments:

  1. In the valuation course I just finished teaching, this was the topic that kept coming up over and over again. A good ERP estimate is critically important to valuation, but it is almost impossible to know what the ERP is in "real time." I participated in the survey too. I voted for 5.5%, which is about the long-term geometric average ERP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that there is short term variation in the premium which leads to the market being over or under valued. But I agree that it is near impossible to identify the short run ERP because you have to explicitly model real growth rates at the same time.

    ReplyDelete

What's going on with inflation?

I recently posted an article on the Poole College Thought Leadership page titled: " What's going on with inflation?" .  This w...