Saturday, July 15, 2017

Will fee cutting hurt the pension fund?

In an article yesterday in the News and Observer (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/business/article161425553.html), David Ranii explores whether fee cutting by the pension fund might hurt future returns.

It's a good article, I was interviewed for it, and I recommend that you read it.  I would, however, like to add a small comment/clarification with regard to my comments within the article.

While I strongly support attempts by the pension fund to reduce fees, this has to be done in a sensible manner.  When high cost equity managers are liquidated, the proceeds should be put into an equivalent low cost index fund.  What the pension fund has been doing is to put these proceeds into cash and fixed income.  In the article, I am quoted as noting that this action will likely result in lower returns for the pension fund going forward.  

The article incorrectly portrays me as in conflict with critics of the pension fund's strategy.  This is inaccurate.  I fully agree that cutting fees by firing equity managers and then putting the proceeds into cash is a bad idea.  This will hurt future returns.






No comments:

Post a Comment

What's going on with inflation?

I recently posted an article on the Poole College Thought Leadership page titled: " What's going on with inflation?" .  This w...