Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Multi tasking, interruptions and team building.

A little non-finance, but it is related to study and work habits.

Clifford Nass, Stanford Professor, explains why team building doesn't work and why multi tasking is bad.



The multi tasking bit is especially relevant.  Answer this question.  When you are supposed to be working, are you receiving text messages, emails, facebook updates etc?   Are any of these things so important that you HAVE to read them immediately?

I realized that I have my email set to check for new messages pretty frequently.  I also get a little popup notification on the screen.  But this is crazy - I've configured my computer to interrupt me when I am presumably doing something useful.

As for the part on team building.  I've only been on team building exercises twice and I thought it was a complete and utter waste of time.  I now feel vindicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's going on with inflation?

I recently posted an article on the Poole College Thought Leadership page titled: " What's going on with inflation?" .  This w...